Tuesday, June 15, 2010

First day

I feel like it's kinda early for me to be updating already, but I must start somewhere. 

First thing I saw was the mountains, which look amazing and fake, like someone painted it in the sky, but apparently I'll be spending sometime in the mountains later on a retreat. mmmmmmm we'll see how that goes.

Didn't get a chance to take any pictures of it, but um here's one I found on the internet.

(more amazing-er in person)


But I've met some great people already.
Jaclyn - she picked me up from the airport, and was super nice, and helpful. 
Christine- she's the executive director (i think that's the title). and she's really amazing, she basically set up my homestay, and made sure everything was fine with me. 
Oscar- he's the education director and an NU alum (whoot!). He's awesome as well very supportive
I also met Sister Girl (real name: Sharlita Ramirez) I'm sure I'll get to know her as well.

I also went on the campus of Kent Denver, which is a legitimate word used to describe the area, it looks nothing like a regular school, well it does, but you know what I'm saying. But the building looks extremely nice and large, and I'm excited to teach there. 

After visiting the campus I headed to my homestay along with Christine where I met Andy Clark, the owner of the home, he won't be here much because this is his winter home (weird? right most people have a summer home). But his son, whose name I can't remember now, will be at the house during my stay. 

I have my own little room in the basement, don't worry the son's room is also in the basement. But it good because there's no air conditioning in the house (because its a winter house), the basement is pretty cool (temperature wise though), considering today it was like 80-something degrees.

Andy is pretty awesome and very nice and welcoming, basically everything is open for grabs, it seems. I guess what I found so surprising is that everyone was so welcoming (I don't know why I didn't expect that). Still I'm on my own, but it was great to know there's people who have my back and are they just in case stuff happens.

some random tibits. 
Apparently I close to Denver University, which is kool. might have to go check a college campus out.

Also guitar lessons are going on in the room right next to me. Weird, huh. Well apparently Meg (Andy's wife) teaches guitar lessons, but right now another guy is doing it, Nick. It was just funny because I was trying to take a nap, I was exhausted, and in walks this dog (who I later learn is Barkely). (What type of dog? I don't know). But for some reason I wasn't like 'OMG! it's a dog busting in my room!'. I was just like 'hey, it a dog'. Apparently my room used to be a guitar lesson place, so the dog just waltzed in like regular but it was fine, even though it was pretty random. 


My first impression of Breakthrough: supportive. I know people are there for me. They like understand my situation, me being miles away from home and ignorant about every single thing, and they are here to help. I'm thinking this will probably ring true as I continue my time with Breakthrough, especially as I begin to teach. 

Overall though, I'm sure I'll be overwhelmed with tons of information in the next couple of days, but eventually I'll get comfortable. 

wowza, hope you read all of that.
peace.

Adrian

No comments:

Post a Comment