Wednesday, June 16, 2010

day two (official day one)

wow. today was a long one .
but good.

I met all the staff of Denver Breakthrough (including all the teachers).
Most teachers are from the Denver area, but go to college all over the place. Some people are even seniors in high school, but most of those individuals went through the program themselves ( and its kinda amazing that their here with us college students, cuz I haven't really taken into account how old everyone is). Interesting tidbit, Sarah is also here in Denver (she's actually the only other person with a homestay), and she so happens to be from Northwestern and a Sec Ed major. but its good cuz I know someone.

Another interesting thing about the staff there's three Adrian's total (including me). Both of the others adrian's are girls, but one is spelled exactly like mine while the other is spelled Adrienne. Adrienne has opted to be called AD (which is what my grammy calls me, weird). but um the other Adrian has not opted for another name, and I don't plan on either, but it's just the first day. I'm sure one of us will get a nickname or something later down the road.

Once again all the admin staff is amazing. Christine is gonna be like my mom away from home, she's really trying to make sure everything is kool with me which I really enjoy. Oscar is awesome, he led some sessions today,  I learned about active participation (basically make sure every students in participating and learning) and VIPs (Visual Instructional Plans, basically a step by step diagram how to do a certain skill). funny thing is he graduated from NU like 2 years ago. so he's like my age, but that really hasn't clicked in my head yet. Sister Girl, today I learned how she got the name sister girl, and I'll get to know more about her i think has time goes on, but she's pretty kool as well.

Also met my homestay 'mom' Mrs. Clark. She was doing guitar lessons today,  and she's really awesome as well. She took me to chiptole for dinner (Denver seriously has like everything). and she brought her dogs. they have this little tiny chi-wa-wa (I'm to lazy to look up how to spell it) so cute. but um yeah she also took me grocery shopping which was the second time today I went grocery shopping, Christine had took me earlier. Which I admit was kinda weird cuz I was it was like "What do i eat?". I mean I usually don't do the shopping at home so, I kinda get to decide what I want to eat which was pretty kool (btw I Def. got bacon & chicken = necessities of life!).

other than that, everything is awesome, I'm excited! (i'll probably say this on every post)
yeah
peace.
Adrian

No comments:

Post a Comment